The Federal Trade Commission has jurisdiction over LawConnect.
“Data Protection” is used to describe the set of rules that aims to ensure (1) our organizations, employees, and contractors who collect, use or store information about living individuals do not misuse the data, and (2) the individuals about whom information is collected and used know how their information is used.
“Onward Transfer” refers to the transfer of Personal Data to another recipient.
“Personal Data” means data that personally identifies or may be used to personally identify a person, including an individual’s name in combination with country of birth, marital status, emergency contact, salary information, terms of employment, job qualifications (such as educational degrees earned), address, phone number, e-mail address, user ID, password, identification numbers, personal billing information, and credit card information. Personal Data does not include data that is de-identified, anonymous, or publicly available.
“Sensitive Data” means information pertaining to an individual and relating to that person’s marital status, race or ethnicity, political opinions, religious or philosophical affiliations or opinions, trade union membership, physical or mental health, sexual orientation, or criminal convictions.
II. DATA COLLECTION AND USE
Lawful and correct treatment of Personal Data is important to us. The Personal Data we collect may vary based on the individual customer’s interaction with our website and request for our services. When customers visit our sites, we will collect their IP address, browser type, and operating system. LawConnect may use Personal Data for identification and contact purposes and/or for demographic information (such as where our site visitors are coming from) to be used by our staff. We also use Personal Data for selling our products and services to customers, managing transactions, reporting, invoicing, renewals, and other operations related to providing services and products to customers. Personal data is used to help us ensure that our services are best designed to meet our customers’ changing needs.
In addition to the uses described elsewhere herein, LawConnect also may use Personal Data for the following business purposes, without limitation:
- maintaining and supporting its products, delivering and providing the requested products/services, and complying with its contractual obligations related thereto (including managing transactions, reporting, invoices, renewals, and other operations related to providing services to an individual customer);
- satisfying governmental reporting, tax, and other requirements;
- storing and processing data, including Personal Data, in computer databases and servers located in the United States;
- verifying identity (e.g., for online access to accounts);
- as requested by the individual customer;
- for other business-related purposes permitted or required under applicable local law and regulation; and
- as otherwise required by law.
A. Types of Data
LawConnect may use Personal Data for certain purposes outlined below.
- Registration Forms: Our Sites’ registration forms require you to give us contact information (such as name, address, phone number and e-mail address), age or date of birth, gender, or income level. We use customer contact information from the registration form to send you newsletters and information about our company and our products and services. GetLegal and its partners also may use your contact information to get in touch with you, including, but not limited to, by mobile phone, email, text message, or regular mail. Message and data rates may apply. You may opt out of receiving future contact and correspondence from LawConnect in accordance with the Choice/Opt out section below.
- Order Forms: Our Sites use an order form for you to request information, products and services. We collect your contact information (such as name, address, phone number and e-mail address) and financial information (such as your bank account or credit card number) from the order form to send orders and information about our company to you. We collect credit card information or other payment information to bill you for products and services. GetLegal and its partners also may use your contact information to get in touch with you, including, but not limited to, by mobile phone, email, text message, or regular mail. Message and data rates may apply. You may opt out of receiving future contact and correspondence from LawConnect in accordance with the Choice/Opt out section below.
- Online Surveys: Our online surveys ask you for contact information (such as your e-mail address) and demographic information (such as your ZIP code, age or income level). We use contact data from our surveys to send you information about our company. GetLegal and its partners also may use your contact information to get in touch with you, including, but not limited to, by mobile phone, email, text message, or regular mail. Message and data rates may apply. You may opt out of receiving future contact and correspondence from LawConnect in accordance with the Choice/Opt out section below.
- Contests: We run contests on our Sites in which we ask you for contact information (such as your e-mail address). We use contact data from our contests to send you information about our company and promotional material from some of our partners. You may opt out of receiving future contact and correspondence from LawConnect in accordance with the Choice/Opt out section below.
- Public Forums: Our Sites may make chat rooms, forums, message boards and/or news groups available to you. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information, and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your Personal Data.
- E-mail: LawConnect does not send unsolicited or spam e-mail. We use e-mail addresses to send e-mail alerts and newsletters that are used to communicate new information, special offers, and new products to our members and customers. All customers and members are given the opportunity to unsubscribe at any time. LawConnect does not sell or rent its e-mail lists to third parties.
LawConnect may use your non-identifiable personal information for certain purposes outlined below.
- IP Addresses: We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer our websites.
Unless otherwise noted below, LawConnect will not use or disclose your Personal Data for any purpose for which you have not consented. Consent may be either inferred or explicit, depending on the type of information and the reason for its use.
Consent will be inferred if you were made aware of all potential subsequent uses of your Personal Data at the time that it was collected. By submitting Personal Data on our Sites via various mechanisms (e.g., legal inquiries, contact and billing information, website feedback forms), you consent to allow us to use such data for its intended purpose.
III. DISCLOSURES AND ONWARD TRANSFERS
By using one of our Sites, you agree and acknowledge that Personal Data collected through one of the Sites or in connection with the services provided may be transferred across national boundaries and stored and processed by third parties in the U.S. You also agree that LawConnect may provide your Personal Data to trusted third parties that act as agents, consultants, and contractors to perform tasks on behalf of and under our instructions. Such third parties are bound by contract with LawConnect to use such Personal Data only for the purposes for which they have been engaged by LawConnect, and they must agree to provide adequate protections for the Personal Data that are no less protective than those set out in this Policy.
LawConnect is required to disclose your Personal Data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
IV. SENSITIVE DATA
LawConnect does not collect Sensitive Data from its customers or visitors to its Sites.
V. THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES
It is against LawConnect’s policy to provide your information to any third party, other than our partners and agents, without your prior permission. However, as part of our business, we provide online stores for third-party merchants (who offer legal products and services) and also allow third parties (such as law firms and financial services providers) to place links on our Sites. LawConnect disclaims any responsibility for the actions of these third parties. LawConnect strongly encourages all of its members and merchants to post their privacy policies on their sites and to adhere to the same high standard as is stated here.
VI. SECURITY AND DATA INTEGRITY
Our Sites have reasonable security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction of the information under our control.
VII. CHOICE/OPT OUT
Our Sites provide you with the opportunity to choose (opt out) of having your Personal Data (i) disclosed to a third party or (ii) used for a purpose that is materially different from the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected or subsequently authorized by you. You also may opt out of receiving communications from LawConnect and our partners, and you may request that your Personal Data be removed from our database. To choose any of these opt-out options, do one of the following:
VIII. RIGHT TO ACCESS, CHANGE, OR DELETE PERSONAL DATA
You have the right to access the Personal Data we have collected about you. LawConnect strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information regarding the consumers who use our Sites. We will therefore make every reasonable effort to provide access to the Personal Data we maintain about you.
To access, change, or delete your Personal Data, send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. You also may call 817-359-7077. In your correspondence, detail the exact URL or domain where you provided your Personal Data, or identify the person to whom the Personal Data was provided, and then describe the changes to be made. We will endeavor to respond in a timely manner to all written requests for access, changes, or deletions.
For information submitted in connection with products or services, you also may follow instructions included or referenced within such product or service to access or correct information.
LawConnect reserves the right, where permitted by law or other legal authority, to charge a reasonable fee to cover the costs incurred in responding to an appropriate request.
X. PRIVACY COMPLAINTS
Revised December 22, 2020